*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

I am working up my comments for World Futurists Society
<http://www.wfs.org/2001progmainpage.htm> international conference next
week in Minneapolis.

Over the last few months I have been telling people that I am ten years
into my fifty year plan.  I really wonder what will come of our efforts to
improve democracy in the information age by the time I reach 72.

My current presentation plan is to point out a number expectional
"democracy online" activities that are major expections to the rule
(currently) but will become pretty much universal in developed democracies
within 10 to 15 years.

OK, that is easy, someone else is doing the work, I'm just sharing
some stories.  Now the hard part.  Assuming current trends, what might
optimistic, dark, and pragmatic democracy scenerios look like 40 years
from now?  I figure I should really have a fifty year plan if I say I
do. ;-)  My plan is to highlight a few "truths" or emerging political and
social trends and try to imagine what might happen. Can anyone with ESP or
quick access to some Tarot cards help?  Perhaps you know of a good
method to distill this or existing research worth a quote or
two?  Comments to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I often find when looking forward it is useful to look back and ask why
the visions of those netizens before us have come true or still have a
long way to go.  So from a little web surfing I offer a couple links that
may be of interest.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

From:
http://www.cpsr.org/publications/newsletters/issues/1992/WinSpr1992/civill.html

... clip ...

Democracy and Networks

The first panel addressed technology's role in enhancing or inhibiting the
ability of small groups to  effectively work in the political
process. The thesis was that today's fr agmented society makes small
group meetings difficult to organize. This places representative governan
ce at risk by limiting direct  governance at the local level.

Charles Firestone, of the Aspen Institute opened the panel by noting that
"cyberspace is the horse and  citizenship the cart." He said that local
civic networks should be design ed to maintain balance among  three forms
of democratic rule: the direct vote, communitarian work towar ds the
common good, and,  most important, pluralistic debate leading to
consensus. A local civic co mputer network should help  people gather and
analyze information from averse sources, organize polit ical efforts at
the grassroots  and coalition levels, and directly influence decision
making. Firestone o bserved that electronic media is  a means to these
ends, but cautioned that technology is only the means an d not the end
itself.

Dave Hughes, a self-styled "computer-populist" from Colorado,
disagreed.  Hughes pointed out that any  method of communicating is in
itself a political act. He said it is time  to update the famous phrase
"the  media is the message" to "technology is the politics." Hughes stated
that information access and voting  issues are largely resolved but what
has atrophied is discussion, "the de bate leading to consensus." He  noted
that in the mass media "the network anchors have become the debater s, not
the public." Hughes  closed by saying that "None of these technologies can
do it all. Online,  debates are insufficient. Debates  must be based in
action, which takes place off-line. This must be done in conjunction with
media. Media  is good for mass distribution. Bulletin board systems
(BBSs) are good for quality discussion. Neither is  sufficient, both must
be used to the end of action."

Judith Perrolle, a sociologist from Northeastern University, proposed tha
t multimedia technologies  may be a way to bring emotional cues and a
sense of intimacy to on-line s mall-group discussions. She  said that much
of democratic practice is not merely voting but rather a p rocess of
exchanging views and  feelings, which are imparted, for example, by raised
eyebrows, not long s trings of text. She noted that  people can correctly
interpret about a thousand facial gestures, "most of which can't be
captured very  well by low resolution graphics." Although we should not
"ask technologie s to fix our biases," she  pointed out that people are
often discriminated against based on visual o r auditory cues that are
missing  over text-based communication systems. Such bias might well
return in a m ultimedia environment.  However, she said, "Until we can get
this subtle kind of flexibility that people use in real small groups  to
reach decision-makers, to make them feel a part of something together,
we'll have trouble getting  people organized on computer networks to go
out and change the world."

Richard Sclove, a democratic theorist and activist from Rensselaer Polyte
chnic Institute, made six  points about the use of technology in
democratic action. First, he said,  if there is no opposition to a
proposal one should wonder what's wrong with it. No innovation should be
implemented without the  participation of the people who will be affected,
particularly the most d isadvantaged among them.  People should be wary of
technical solutions casting about for a problem, and there may be non-
technical ways to solve a given problem. The disadvantaged need power mor
e than they need  information, said Sclove--organizational tools are
needed most. He argue d that "teledemocratic"  initiatives should not
displace face-to-face encounters. And, finally, he advocated that all
initiatives be  organized on a local, trial basis. Pilot projects should
include a partic ipatory process for evaluating  successes and failures.

Jim Warren, chair of CPSR's first Conference on Computers, Freedom and Pr
ivacy, described his use of  voter records to begin a grassroots campaign
against policies that affect ed the unincorporated  community where he
lives. He has also been posting important bills from t he California State
legislature on The Well and taking the feedback to the appropriate legisl
ative staff in Sacramento. Some  of these staffers have now joined these
on-line discussions and have even implemented some suggested  changes in
the wording of bills.

[The above section was from 1992.]

And from a previous DO-WIRE post in 1999 I pointed out some late
eighties resources:
http://www.tmn.com/netweaver/edemocracy.html

>From there you can find:
http://www.tmn.com/netweaver/nw8712-5.html

Netweaver - December, 1987

Title:  ONLINE NETWORKING BY PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATES: A TECHNOLOGY FOR
LEADERSHIP AT THE NATIONAL LEVEL

Author:                          Frank Burns

  Recent articles in NETWEAVER have focused on applications of computer
conferencing which support "Electronic Democracy" at local levels and on
the potential of the technology for supporting participatory politics.  In
this election year, we have an opportunity to look at how electronic
networking can contribute to national-level campaigns.  The proper
functions of a campaign are to REFLECT public opinion AND TO LEAD IT -- by
creating WITH the voters (1) new visions that attract public attention to
the collective opportunities, (2) new channels for citizen excitement that
involve them directly with democratic processes that achieve observable
new outcomes, and (3) new stories containing self-fulfilling examples of
how SOMETHING NEW AND EXCITING IS ALREADY HAPPENING.  Each of these
functions can be enhanced dramatically by taking advantage of the latest
in electronic mail and computer conferencing technology.  Candidates for
President can use this technology now as a new tool for national
leadership -- and in the process, lead the country into a new era of
"electronic democracy."  The implementation framework we recommend
contains three different levels.  These three levels are both additive and
complementary, as outlined below:

LEVEL ONE -- NETWORKING THE CAMPAIGN ORGANIZATION
The most immediately useful application of online networking is to improve
-- significantly -- internal communication in the campaign organization
itself.  With its own online computer conferencing system, a campaign
organization can link its national headquarters staff with: (1) the
traveling candidate, (2) the campaign staffs at field offices in key
states and cities, and (3) key campaign strategists and
speechwriters. Getting started at this level is as simple as opening three
computer conferences.  One can be for everyone involved in the campaign
organization and can serve as a central clearing-house for disseminating
campaign information -- newsletters, position statements, policy
announcements, events, and travel schedules.  A second computer conference
can be dedicated to the "real" management processes of running any
organization -- staying clear about who, what, when and why.  A third
conference can serve the key "issue-oriented" people in the campaign --
the candidate, the campaign manager, the strategists, and the
speechwriters.

LEVEL TWO -- ELECTRONIC TOWN MEETINGS
-------------------------------------
Candidates with the "clearest channel" to local voters and party
organizations will win in the primaries -- and the party with the clearest
channel to the most voters will win in the national election.  Town
meetings -- interactive by their nature and therefore a very clear channel
of communication -- provide a powerful link between voters, political
leaders, and the media.  Using computer conferencing technology at this
level involves the sponsorship of issue-oriented public networks
("computer bulletin  boards") at local, state and national levels.  In
ways not possible through ordinary polling methods, these "electronic town
meetings" can provide candidates with a clearer understanding of popular
opinion AND improve citizen and media understanding of the candidate and
her or his positions.

LEVEL THREE -- ELECTRONIC THINK TANKS
-------------------------------------
In their dual role of both reflecting AND LEADING public opinion,
candidates for public office must formulate positions and agendas for
their leadership that are based on an understanding of WHAT'S REAL AND
WHAT'S POSSIBLE over a wide range of complex issues.  The technology of
computer conferencing permits the creation of "electronic think tanks" --
computer-linked networks of "citizen-experts" who work interactively with
campaign managers and candidates in scanning issue-related information,
analyzing alternatives, and developing positions and strategies for
action.  With the right composition, these electronic think tanks can also
play a central role in planning and implementing post-election
transitions.

---------
Author's note: Frank Burns is President, Metasystems Design
Group, Inc. in Arlington, VA. MDG is currently working with two
presidential candidates who have set up networks to support their
campaigns.

*** Please send submissions to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]     ***
*** To subscribe, e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]          ***
***         Message body:  SUB DO-WIRE                  ***
*** To unsubscribe instead, write: UNSUB DO-WIRE        ***

*** Please forward this post to others and encourage    ***
*** them to subscribe to the free DO-WIRE service.      ***