*** Democracies Online Newswire - http://www.e-democracy.org/do ***

With the RNC at over one million e-mail subscribers on their e-mail list
network after the 2000 election, the Democrats look to be engaging in
efforts to catch up. Through a simple and straight forward issue-based web
site <http://www.SaveOurSecurity.org/> that clearly seeks e-mail opt-in
memberships for their main alert lists. (Not unlike http://www.moveon.org
's selection of hot button petitions.)

In the past, a number of these campaign statement site launches seemed to
focus on generating free media.  This one seems carefully designed to do
one thing - build their e-mail alert network.  The DNC note is below.

Steven Clift
Democracies Online

P.S. Unless the RNC is up over two million subscribers, Japan's PM has the
largest list at over 2 million members (1 in 20 Japanese Internet users)
Check out today's commentary co-authored by DO-WIRE member Nina Hachigian
<http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-000059857jul22.story>.
The first leader in this type of first person newsletter from the
politician was Carl Bildt in Sweden <http://www.bildt.net/veckobrev.asp>
who while not the PM any more has 20,803 members on his list (according to
http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?SL1=VECKOBREV&H=LISTSERV.MODERAT.SE>.
If you want to see other really big lists check out
<http://www.lsoft.com/scripts/wl.exe?XS=10000>.  When will President Bush,
Majority Leader Daschel and others create their own official "governance"
e-lists like you can get from the House Majority Leader
<http://www.freedom.gov/subscribe/>?

P.S. I tried to get the web folks from the UK Labour and Conservative
parties to share their e-mail list numbers at the Voxpolitics post mortem,
but all we got were smiles. :-)  Do you have reports on how party e-mail
lists used to campaign in election outside the U.S. were discovered as
effective post-election governance/opposition tools?  Any numbers?