Dennis E. Hamilton wrote:
> Thanks for the comments, Keith.
>
> I only knew that ODFAuthors was already in full operation when the
> Apache OpenOffice podling was created.  I didn't know what the prior
> history with openoffice.org was.
>
> We shot ourselves in the foot with the ALv2 requirement, especially
> since the existing materials had many contributors and at the time
> CC-By wasn't thought to be so toxic as it is for releases.  We still
> have tons of stuff under PDL and it is not thought to be awful.  I
> think because it does not appear in our source-code releases.
>
> Life is still intervening.  Yes, in print I would put the
> installation and trouble-shooting material in the back of the book.
> We can do something similar along the lines you align with in the web
> context, below.
>
> A minimum case, probably not well organized, would be enough web
> pages and screen captures to back up something like the 4.1.2-patch1
> README, so that people could be shown how to do all of the
> prerequisites.  Those come in handy for many other cases and it would
> be great to have something to link to for situations like the hotfix
> and especially things like resetting the user profile, etc.

[knmc]
The case of resetting the profile is already handled as part of the
FAQ'S
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/FAQ/General/Spellchecker_Shows_all_Word_Misspelled>
and The HowTo's
<https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/How_Tos/Handling_the_OpenOffice.org_User_Profile#Resetting_the_User_Profile>
Though the HowTo article could use some rework, especially the section
on resetting the profile.

As far as the hot-fix it should not be to difficult to put something
together based on the readme files released as part of the package.
[/knmc]
> So I guess the first thing would be enough skeleton to hang those
> bits onto so that it can have permalinks when referenced outside of
> the Wiki.  Then it can be updated and filled in.

[knmc]
I can do that fairly easily. The question is where do we put it. Should
it be in the HowTo's section or in the cookbook section of the User Guide?
[/knmc]