Two things,

1. I'm retiring from involvement in community open-source work and moving to
small personal and family projects.  So I don't expect to do anything on doc@
after all.  It seems age is catching up with me.  In 2018, it will be my 60th
anniversary as a software developer.  In 2019 I'll be 80.  I must seriously
downsize.

2. On what I had in mind here:

I wasn't thinking of a HOWTO that is specific to the 4.1.2-patch1 Hotfix.  I
was thinking about the prerequisites.  That is, having illustrated
demonstrations of what it means and how to establish all of these parts:

  * Ability to access and navigate the file system of your computer.

    There are several specific things here, including being able to see
    Details, and to see complete file names.  Then there is getting in
    and out of folders.  Some users know very little about that, but if
    someone wants to troubleshoot, they need to know.  There is also the
    file associations business to show folks.  These things vary by
    Windows version, and now within versions and also settings (e.g.,
    there are several different views of the start screen/menu on
    Windows 10 now).

    Since Zip format support is built into Windows to give the appearance
    of folders, that needs to be understood a little.

    One can provide references to other resources about some of these
    things.

    There are other ways to learn these things and we could point to some.
    The key thing is that, if we want our very-casual Windows users to
    thrive with Apache OpenOffice, we need a way to have them get what
    they need to do that and in particular to be able to trouble-shoot,
    find their own files, etc.

    Etc.

  * Downloading distributions and hotfixes to a
    location on your Windows PC where it can be used and its content
    extracted.

  * Extracting the contents of a Zip package into a folder from which
    the Zipped contents can be reviewed and used.

  * OPTIONAL: Confirming correctness of downloads by verifying the
    hash-check (.md5, .sha1, and .sha256) files.

  * OPTIONAL: Confirming correctness and authenticity of the downloads
    by verifying the digital-signature (.asc) files using PGP software
    and the public KEYS file obtained by you from internet location
    <https://archive.apache.org/dist/openoffice/>.

  * OPTIONAL: Disconnecting and reconnecting your computer from the
    Internet and any other network while performing the patch procedure.

The Hotfix README has more places were general proficiency with their PC is
also expected.

It takes a "beginner's mind" to tease these things out and to illustrate them
with screen captures, etc.

The idea would be that in future READMEs, there would be links to where someone
who didn't know about a prerequisite (or even what it meant) there would be a
link to reusable material on that prerequisite or its parts.

I won't go into that here.