Thanks, Ben and Mauritz!

If I have more questions I'll go to the dblatex list. I don't think I'm
using the dblatex script itself. This is what I ended up doing:

xsltproc -nonet -o pdf_working_dir2/table_test.tex --stringparam
table.default.position [H] dblatex_docbook/xsl/docbook.xsl
table_test.docbook

I would try XEP or FOP but my organization doesn't have them installed.

Peter