Hi,

I was going by this reference as to requirements, and have not read the whole
book (thus I did not yet see the Java requirement):
http://tdg.docbook.org/tdg/5.1/programlisting.html

Admittedly I'm trying to do something quicker than I should and not reading
everything (I've been through a lot of material, but it's just a drop in the
bucket for everything needed when I really just need to sit down and write
content). I've had some frustrations getting the Java-based processors working
and have tried to stick to the xmllint/jing/xsltproc family for that single
reason. The Java-based processing answer likely also answers my earlier syntax
highlighting question about whether to abandon my current approach with xmllint.

To use Saxon or Xalan I would have to change the current build scheme, which
I've never succeeded at:

xmllint --output "${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.xml" --nonet --noent -xinclude
"${CONTENT}/${TITLE}.xml"
xsltproc --output ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.fo ${XSLT}/docbook.xsl
${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.xml
fop -c ${PREFIX}/fop.xconf -fo ${OBJ}/${TITLE}_monolithic.fo -pdf
${OUT}/${TITLE}.pdf

I realize I'm probably asking a lot, but is there any advice I can get on
editing that chain of commands to instead work with Saxon or Xalan? Getting
past the tools on the command line (for a hand written Makefile) is just
getting frustrating and is why the current chain of commands have never evolved
to anything Java-based.

I do plan on reading more (I'm not resisting reading), but there are other
requirements which tend to require at least a draft to be available sooner
rather than later.

Thanks!

----- Original Message -----From: Bob Stayton <b...@sagehill.net>To:
stim...@comcast.net, Docbook <docbook-apps@lists.oasis-open.org>Sent: Fri, 10
Feb 2017 19:09:00 -0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [docbook-apps] <programlisting
linenumbering="numbered"> does not number...

Hi,Did you read this section in my online book about line numbering? It only
works with Java-based processors.

Bob StaytonSagehill enterprisesb...@sagehill.net

On 2/10/2017 11:01 AM, stim...@comcast.net wrote:> Hi,>> Under DocBook 5.1 I've
been able to list programs, but line numbering> has no effect (and there is no
error under xmllint or jing). Is there> some ENTITY or other precondition
required for line numbering under 5.1?>> Thanks!