I am processing DocBook 4.5 test files under Linux using a variety of xslt
processors with optional parsers and xsl-fo processors. I can see the
difference between pdfs produced by fop, xep and ahf. They each have different
features and produce different outputs.

I do not have a feel for the differences between the fo produced by different
xslt processors. I have xsltproc, saxon 6.5 with and without the xerces parser,
and saxon 10 working. The fo produced by these are slightly different sizes,
but I'm not sure what differences there are. The pdfs produced from these fo
files are also different sizes, but look visually identical to my eye for the
test files I am using, and they are all satisfactory.

I know saxon 10 accepts  xslt 2.0 and 3.0, but I don't think I need those (yet?)

Are there reasons to prefer one of these xslt processors to the others? Is it
worth looking at the commercial processors?