Hi Aristedes,

On 05.10.2015 22:39, Aristedes Maniatis wrote:
> I'm confused about the purpose of classsynopsis, methodsynopsis and all the
> related elements. The documentation acknowledges that they are a mixture of
> modelling and documentation. But I'm hitting my head against a wall trying to
> use them for either.
>
> As a model, they are clearly lacking many concepts inherent to something like
> javadoc. But that's OK, because I don't want a 1:1 mapping back to my code...
> I just want a nice way to output documentation. In my case, I'm modifying
> groovydoc output to spit out docbook instead of html, which gives me more
> options to tie into an existing docbook documentation workflow.
>
> But as a documentation structure classsynopsis is also very lacking. It
> cannot contain common structural elements like <para> or <variablelist> so
> I'm very limited in formatting documentation elements. My docs contain lists,
> ulinks, xref and code samples (<programlisting>).
>
> Should I just discard classsynopsis and friends as a well intentioned but
> ultimately dead-end bit of docbook, and go back to boring old sections, lists
> and other structures which are more expressive but have no semantic concepts
> of parameters, return types and more? Or am I missing the point of some other
> way to handle this?
>
> By Google I've found zero examples of other people using classsynopsis.

I once ran into similar questions...I believe the goal for all those
*synopsis elements is to act as a refinement for the synopsis element,
i.e. to let you create a synopsis with substructure. These elements are
*not* meant to be mixed with text.

However, like you, I also came to the conclusion that they are very
limited, so I abandoned their use in my own documentation. However,
there was a project as part of Boost (http://boost.org) to augment
DocBook with a more complete vocabulary for API documentation, which
ultimately became "BoostBook"
(http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_59_0/doc/html/boostbook.html).
This has been ported back to DocBook 5 as an "API" extension, but at
this point is still only available in a branch. (I intend to merge it to
master soon.)

In the meantime, I suggest to use 'synopsis' only.

Regards,
        Stefan