On 6/21/2011 8:58 PM, Gary Schnabl wrote:
On 6/21/2011 6:32 PM, John Cleland wrote:
Hi Jean

-----Original Message----- From: Jean Hollis Weber
Sent: Tuesday, June 21, 2011 10:21 PM
To: documentation@global.libreoffice.org
Subject: Re: [libreoffice-documentation] HTML versions of the Guides

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 21:49 +0100, John Cleland wrote:

When checking the PDF version of the Calc guide I found it hard, compared to html to move around the document. I would like to propose that an HTML version is produced. I would be happy to undertake the work.

I am not sure what open source html producers/editors are available, but will do some research into what is available.

Does anyone else think this is a good/bad idea.

The following questions are to help me get a better idea of exactly what you are proposing.

Are you proposing to do this for all the guides, or just the Calc Guide?
I am proposing to do this for all guides

Where do you propose to put the HTML version?
Somewhere on the documentation Website

Why HTML and not wiki?
I envisage an HTML page that looks similar to a .chm file where the contents are down the left and the text on the right.

How do you propose to keep the HTML version up to date?
Not thought about this, I think the only way would probably be manually

BTW, my general view is that if someone has an idea, they should just run with it. I do that all the time. ;-)

--Jean

I think HTML is so much easier than a PDF to use that it is worth looking at

The major drawback with (X)HTML is that each browser developer will render the code somewhat differently. Display sizes and resolutions vary all across the board among disparate users, also. Liquid-CSS layouts can assist with the variable display-size problem, though.

OTOH, PDF files are better standardized than (X)HTML files, and a PDF can be set up with very high-quality layouts that print very well, whereas (X)HTML files are not so hot with their graphics. In addition, PDFs are fairly easy to resize when displayed and to navigate from page to page, if that is desired.

Perhaps, you might save yourself a lot of time, effort, and grief instead by learning how to use PDFs more effectively.

Gary

Another major plus for PDFs is that any Adobe Acrobat Professional versions from around Acrobat 6 (of yesteryear...) can enable a very useful functionality to PDFs so that anybody with the free Adobe Reader can make markup directly upon the PDFs. I employ that functionality with nearly all my clients for the PDFs I make, whether they are works-in-process, finished projects, or simple copyediting runs.

To demonstrate that, I will take the PDF version of the Writer Guide and, using Acrobat Professional, will impart that functionality to it, so that any user with Abode Reader can easily do such markup on it. Adobe calls that Comment and Review (or more recently, Comment and Analysis), in case anybody cares to conduct a web search on the subject.

Gary

--

Gary Schnabl
Southwest Detroit, two miles NORTH! of Canada--Windsor, that is...

Technical Editor forum <http://TechnicalEditor.LivernoisYard.com/phpBB3/>