Hi,

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:41:53 +0200
Sigrid Carrera <sigrid.carr...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hi Javier, *,
>
> On Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:40:46 -0400
> Javier Oscar Cordero-Pérez <cor...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > If I were them I would go by leaving the default theme, unless there's
> > plans on mayor UI changes, also would use Windows 7 for the screenshots.
> > I'm a Linux and FLOSS full time user, but Windows would be the best
> > platform for it helps us reach a bigger market share. Most of the users
> > who will read the manuals will run some variant of the MS OS.
>

> Not too easy:
>
> The microsoft website says:
> http://www.microsoft.com/About/Legal/EN/US/IntellectualProperty/Permissions/Default.aspx#ERG
>
> Use of Microsoft Copyrighted Content
> Published: April 26, 2005 | Updated: November 13, 2009
>
> Microsoft products and services—including images, text, and software
> downloads (the "content")—are owned either by Microsoft Corporation or by
> third parties who have granted Microsoft permission to use the content.
> Microsoft cannot grant you permission for content that is owned by third
> parties. You may only copy, modify, distribute, display, license, or sell the
> content if you are granted explicit permission within the End-User License
> Agreement (EULA) or License Terms that accompany the content or are provided
> in the following guidelines. For more information, consult your copyright
> attorney.
>
> Requirements for Allowed Uses
>
> For permission to be granted for any uses allowed by these guidelines, you
> must comply with the following four requirements:
>
> 1. If your use includes references to a Microsoft product, you must use the
> full
>    name of the product. When referencing any Microsoft trademarks, follow the
>
>    General Microsoft Trademark Guidelines.
>
> 2. You must include the following statement: "Used with permission from
>    Microsoft."
>
> 3. Your use may not be obscene or pornographic, and you may not be
> disparaging,
>    defamatory, or libelous to Microsoft, any of its products, or any other
>    person or entity.
>
> 4. You may link to Microsoft content by using either a plain text link with
>    words such as "This way to Microsoft.com" or by participating in an
>    applicable Link Logo program. No other images may be used as a link to a
>    Microsoft site.
>

> And between a lot of other regulations you'll find this:
>

> Screen Shots
>
> You may not use screen shots of Microsoft product boot-up screens, opening
> screens, "splash screens," or screens from beta release products or other
> products that have not been commercially released. You may use other screen
> shots in advertising, in documentation (including educational brochures), in
> tutorial books, in videotapes, or on Web sites, provided that, in addition to
> the requirements above, you:
>
> 1. Do not alter the screen shot except to resize it.

> [...]

I forgot one more point:

Point 1 of this list does not allow us to add arrows or circles to make clear,
about what we're talking about. (This modifies / alters the screenshot, and the
only modification allowed is resizing). And I used arrows and circles quite a
lot already in the first chapter of the getting started guide (and the english
team did too) ;)

@Marc
I saw your post on the design list and mentioned this point there as well. But
I thought it's important to know for all the guys here too.

Sigrid