In several user guides, we advise users to give their graphics useful names
rather than sticking with the default Graphic1, etc. Yet we don't follow this
advice ourselves!

If graphics were given easily recognisable names (for example numbered graphics
being called Fig1, Fig2, etc., and inline graphics things like FooIcon), then
it would be much easier to handle the "disappearing graphics" problem. The
initial .odt file could be copied and unzipped, and if any graphics were not
shown in Writer, they could be retrieved from the graphics subdirectory and
displayed alongside with a simple display program like xv, feh or eog. This
would make editing/proofing much easier.

Even if the file was actually stripped of graphics on saving (as shown by a
drastic reduction in its size), the graphics themselves would be safe and could
be zipped and uploaded along with the text file.
--
Hazel Russman <hazeldeb...@googlemail.com>