On Thu, Aug 23, 2012 at 6:18 AM, Jean Weber <jeanwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> That said, I appreciate that Alfresco is more convenient to use with
> one unchanging file name for each version of LO. I can manually change
> filenames upon download if that makes the whole process easier for
> everyone.

It's not really a question of keeping one unchanging file name to suit
working with Alfresco. The advantage is that one would take advantage
of Alfresco's file versioning to:

a) avoid having to update download links on http://libreoffice.org and the wiki;

b) avoid the need to keep different files containing different
versions of the same document. The versioning system stores all the
different historical versions of that document, and you can get a
download link to each different past version of a file if you want to
offer-up documentation for different versions of LibreOffice.

You can easily live with one unchanging file name if you store the
changeable information (version of LibreOffice covered, etc.) in the
doc's meta data rather than incorporating it in the filename.

>I find this extremely convenient and simple. While I can go back to
> Alfresco and download an older version of a file if I want it (or look
> in the metadata to see when and by whom it was changed), in most cases
> that is a nuisance compared to having it on my own computer with the
> info in the filename.

I can understand that. It's a pity that there are no extensions to
file managers like Windows Explorer and Nautilus, etc., that allow
reading of ODF file meta data without having to load a program to do
so. There are various small, quick-loading utilities for reading MS
Office file meta data without much hassle, but I'm not aware of any
for LibreOffice and its ODF files.

I guess you'd need to make a choice here. Is using file meta data for
storing version-related information more convenient that using special
file naming that is quicker to read but entails a lot of manual
renaming and link updating?

--
David Nelson