Hi Peter,

> I am working through the documentation for the forms. To do this
> properly I needed a data base.

I thought there had been added the example-databases to the
Base-Handbook. But when I had a look at
http://www.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/
I don't fin the translated examples. So I have uploaded them to the
following folder:
http://robert.familiegrosskopf.de/lo_hb_en/

There arae many more examples on
http://de.libreoffice.org/get-help/documentation/

Some of the content of other chapters will link to this examples - which
aren't translated yet.

> As I have an access data base which I
> want to convert to Librebase I used this. I exported the tables from
> Access as Excel files, opened them in Librecalc, saved them in native
> librecalc format. I made sure the column definitions were correct for dates.
>
> I copied the data cells and imported them into a Base table. I found a
> problem with all fields which were created as text.  If I change the
> date columns to date format I cannot save the new version of the base
> table without losing the date data. Is there any way of importing data
> and preserving the data format?

You have to change the format before you import the data. If it is a
date in Calc it would be a date in Base, too. Could be the import-wizard
doesn't recognize this automatically.

> Many years ago using Oracle SQL I believe you could import text data
> into an already created table if your text data had been properly
> formatted. Is this possible with LibreBase?

If the field contains strings it isn't possible to create a date with
this content.
You could send me some rows of such a table (in *.ods-format) so I will
have a look.

Regards

Robert