Hi :)
The good news is that you can download the published guides for free;
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Documentation/Publications

Also the program is available for free download too;
http://www.libreoffice.org/download/libreoffice-still/

There are 2 branches.
*  The "Fresh" branch, although being 'fully tested' does have a lot of new
features including much better compatibility with MS Office formats.
Unfortunately "you can't make an omelet without breaking eggs" and you may
find existing features no longer work, usually these are rarely used
features.  You can post a bug-report and it'll usually get fixed in a
future release of the same branch.  When it matures it becomes the "Still"
branch and a new branch is released for even newer features.

*  The "Still" branch doesn't have so many new features but it's still
quite a lot more advanced than OpenOffice.  Some people would refer to this
as "stable branch" because they can rely on all their favourite features
working well without worry.

Some people prefer the "Fresh" because it's a bit more exciting and an
opportunity to get involved and be heard.  Others prefer "Still" because
they can get on with work using the same work-flow they have always used.

Regards from
Tom :)