Hi steveedmonds,

Why not leave it out altogether? "Set Document Roots: Selects the document as
root file."

Saves typing!

Best regards,

Peter
mailto:l...@ptoye.com
www.ptoye.com

-------------------------
Tuesday, December 1, 2015, 12:51:30 AM, you wrote:

Hi.
I come across this a lot in manuals I transcribe. I most frequently
insert a "you".

Set Document Root: allows to select the document as root file >> Set Document
Root: allows you to select the document as root file

Not sure of the context, the above is still ambiguous to me although it
provides an example of insertion of "you" and because it is so frequent
(in my work) a search and replace is a quick fix.
Steve

On 2015-12-01 00:28, ptoye wrote:

> I've noticed that the phrase "allow to" or "allows to" appears a lot in the
> API documentation, and also in some of the help files. AS a native UK
> English speaker, I feel that I should point out that this is incorrect
> grammar (I think it's also incorrect in US English). "Allow" must take an
> object (except in the phrase "allow for"). There's a good discussion of this
> in
> http://english.stackexchange.com/questions/85069/is-the-construction-it-allows-to-proper-english
> which implies that it's a translation problem (maybe a German speaker here
> would like to comment).
>
> For example "If the current entry in the Settings listbox allows to edit a
> value, you can click the Edit button." needs editing to something like "If
> the current entry in the Settings listbox is set to allow editing of a
> value,  you can click the Edit button."
>
> There is also the question of whether "allows" is the correct word in many
> cases. "<This parameter> allows to <change  a value>" is, strictly speaking,
> ambiguous. Does it mean that the parameter sets/clears a switch which makes
> the change of possible (the strict meaning of "allows"), or that the
> parameter changes the the value directly, in which case "allows to change"
> can be replaced by "changes"? In many cases, I suspect that the latter is
> intended.
>
> There's an example below taken from
> https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/HelpContent#Make_Images_Appear which
> shows the problem:  three of these paras use "allows to", three don't, but I
> think they all have the same meaning!
>
>      Create help file: creates a new .xhp file based on the template. If the
> template is not found, the file can't be created and an error message is
> displayed.
>      About: displays the version number of the extension
>      Set Document Root: allows to select the document as root file
>      Edit meta data: allows to give a title to the help file and to leave a
> comment. The Indexing button allows to include or ignore the file when
> running a search
>      Validate this help file: allows to run some checks on the xml structure
> of the file
>      Toggle l10n: sets the localize attribute on false:
>

> -----
> Peter

http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Use-of-allow-to-in-documentation-tp4167829p4167880.html
To unsubscribe from Use of "allow to" in documentation, click here.
NAML

-----
Peter