Hello Peter

some remarks
1)
git status: Strange... the modified file should have the full path listed

modified: path/to/file/filename.xhp

2)
git commit -m "3rd party"

You must give the name of the file you modified for commit. That is
git commit -m "3rd party" file1 file2 file3...

3)
git add help

This "help" stuff is already been under git control, no need ot add it
again.

4)
git status
Same as 1.

"git diff" will list the changes you did since last "git pull"

regards

Olivier

Em 08/04/2016 11:38, ptoye escreveu:
> Thanks Olivier. I don't have time now to do an interactive chat. Possibly
> next week.
>
> I'm sure that Git is great, but as with all such tools it has to do a lot of
> things so it gets complicated fairly quickly. As an ex-software writer I
> sympathise with the designer.
>
> But here's a quick excerpt of a console session. There's just one changed
> file 4 directories deep from /help/ which is the top level of the clone from
> the LO site.
>

> <http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/file/n4180637/GitSession.jpg>
>

> -----
> Peter