Nigel and others

Those ducatti /kabota type regulators (things) are for permanent magnet
type alternators  (no stator winding).  They can very easily over charge
battery and must have a jet of air to try and cool them and disapate the
heat.

I guess mid nineties and after seeing over 15 local ultralights (mostly
rotax) with powermate regulator I fitted an early model Powermate to our
PIK20E and all of a sudden the battery lasted 5 to 6 years rather than 18
months.  I ran the AC down the pilon to the regulator now in the engine bay

Back to Jabiru and rotax 912 engines (and ASK21Mi) be it ximango or hk36
the original (ducatti /kabota) regulators keep failing over the years.  To
help these regulators they need to be mounted with fins vertical and a jet
of air for cooling but they still overcharge the battery.  Claus Gimm who
originally made the POWERMATE regulator suggests you mount in cockpit and I
add a jet of air.  The powermate has 4 times the fin area of ducatti thing.

Claus Gimm retired 8 years ago and nobody was making Powermate and then I
went to LEAF a rotax dealer in USA and got theirs but was very
disappointed. and removed it. Guess in past 12 months a guy Brad is back
making the powermate bradm...@gmail.com. Yes expensive at about $240 from
memory but so are new batteries like motorbat etc.

Talk to airforce cadets about the number of ASK21MI that have had the
duccati type regulator fail. I know charters towers AAFC would have to
charge one of the ASK21Mi every night and think SA cadets have had two
failures. I believe airforce have been approaching Schleicher to get an
improved replacement.

I just forget how many Diccati things i have thrown in the bin over the
years but we'll over 10. Powermate gives me 13.8 volts to 14.1volts time
after time ( the dual motorcycle type ignition takes about 0.2 volts so at
taxi in after landing we all leave it off to give the battery a full top
up)

Most ride on mowers use this ducatti regulator and guess 8 years ago while
staying with Goldsmiths Jenny comes in and battery is boiling.  I say
always mow for 15minutes then TURN ON THE LIGHTS to prevent over voltage.
You get what you pay for.

So in summary regulator in cockpit side of firewall, fins vertical, heat
transfer paste at base and a jet of cool air on to fins of regulator and
consider Powermate regulator and the bonus of 6 to 8 years battery life.
Talk with smart RAAUS Inspectors as they sure know.

Ian McPhee
+61 428847642
Box 657 Byron Bay NSW 2481