Dear Dimona Owners

When using my H36 for field landing training an adjustable engine cowl would be very useful.  Open up the bottom of the engine bay to allow plenty of cooling air through at a high power setting, then close the cowl to reduce the rate of cooling when the throttle was closed at top of descent. This would keep the engine warmer for the go-around as the student flew over the fence in what was hopefully a well-executed circuit.

I realise that an adjustable cowl flap would need to be a certified modification, and I'm just checking with the group to see whether anyone has developed and installed such a mod, and how well it worked.

On my aircraft the cooling air outlet is way smaller than the area of the intake.  The usual wisdom with air-cooled engines is that the outlet needs to be a little larger than the inlet to allow for the air to expand as it gains heat from the engine.

Kind regards
Martyn