1-  Normally the RPM on change should be 2200 to go into cruise.
2 - Sounds like the pitch change/feather plate on the rear of the prop is
not running true or alternatively the two bearings that contact it are not
touching at the same time.
Use a finger dial guage to check if the plate is true.

regards
Rob

Rob Thompson
0429 493 828