Having more time to test will not change anything. If you have more
time, you will have also more regression and motre things to test.
In fact, if time between 2 release is increased by 2, the time neeed
to test and upgrade a module is increased by 4 and time required for
beta is also increased by 4 instead of 2 making finally less time to
have a stable version to make quality tests.
That's why more and more projects are making rolling released (so a
released every month and even weeks). But I think 6 month is a good
frequency to not have to wait to long to get new features.
Also a roadmap must be followed as announced other wise it has no
senses to have roadmap.