So the Fan Club has gone en masse to Saratoga to play.
What are the rest of us to do while those cats are away?
What indeed, fellow left-behind Clubbers?
Myself, I'm bummed that I'm missing the Saratoga action. Hearing good
music, perhaps meeting favorite band members, and putting fan-club faces to
names...wouldn't that be a gas? I wish all of our travellers well and look
forward to hearing about their adventures.
My one consolation is that I did get to see the DBs this summer! They
played 8/10 in Sterling, Colorado, a very small town way out on Colorado's
eastern plains, at the Logan County Fair. As for intimate settings, imagine
a small rodeo arena. The stands are small and packed. But, O-Ho, we're
still lingering in the Beer Garden with ten minutes to go until show time.
That's because no one's figured out how to get into the arena proper for
standing-general admission. (Except us. We know the magic gate location
though, by either Divine Grace or Happenstance.) Finally, with five minutes
to go, we walk around to the gate and into the arena...right up to within 20
feet of the stage!
The concert was absolutely fantastic. My description would be like many
we've already seen this summer, so I won't go into detail. I do have a
great memory of standing in soft sand (the Fair folks did a great job of
cleaning up the arena floor beforehand, thankfully) in the warm Colorado
twilight, with alpenglow in the sky and carnival lights whizzing in the
background, watching my favorite band in the world. Wow! The crowd, though
small, was quite warm in their reception.
I was most impressed that the Doobie Brothers would visit such a small,
off-the-route place and put on an honestly exhuberent, rockin' show.
That concert was the start of my vacation. After that, it was off to my
highschool reunion (Class of '75...the Doobies rocked then and they rock
now!!!), then on to a 4-day backpack trip. Needless to say, my head is
spinnin' from these marvelous experiences!
Cheers and salutations,
Dave from Denver
_________________________
To unsubscribe from this list, send a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with
"unsubscribe doobiefans-list" in the body.