I agree.  I think that throughout the 70's, most popular groups had
OUTSTANDING vocals, which I'm thinking was a continuation of the trends
set by the great vocal groups of the 50's and 60's.  It's just that, in
the 70's, the background music changed.  In the early 70's, it seems like
most bands were either guitar-oriented (the Doobies, Led Zeppelin, etc.),
or had a prominent horn section (Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears, etc.).  In
the mid-70's, the popular music style went toward everyone's favorite -
disco!!  ("wince") It was very synthesizer-oriented.  Finally, during the
late 70's, disco was still going strong, but there were several great
piano-based acts (Barry Manilow, Billy Joel, Elton John, etc.).

Of course, there were exceptions, but those seemed to have been the
trends, IMO.  And, the Doobies were always able to find enough of an
audience, no matter what the popular style of the time.  Which is yet
another reason why the Doobies "SHOULD" be in the R&RHOF!!

- Bob