On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 20:21 +0000, Terry Coles wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 Dec 2009, Simon O'Riordan wrote:
> > The 9.10 Ubuntu comes with OO 3.1 as standard.
> > This can now handle all microsoft Office file types without switching
> >  between compatibilities. For example, DOCX is now a standard file type.
>
> I didn't realise that; I thought it was done through a plug-in.  No one sends
> me .docx, so I wouldn't have any occasion to try it.
>
> > I've only got one gripe with OO Writer;
> > it turns on an irritating and unwanted numbering format when you type in
> >  numbers such as chapter heading numbers. It then tries to format every
> >  paragraph auto-tragically, and by the time I switched it off, it took all
> >  the page numbers off too. I think OO is too big and important a step
> >  forward to still be indulging in this sort of trickery, badly at that.
>
> Methinks they're trying to mimic MS Office behaviour too much.  This is one
> of
> my pet gripes with Office 2002 (which is the company standard at work).
>
> > I'm sure I'll learn how to get it right, but I shouldn't have to; the
> >  convenience of MS Office will be the reason people go on spending money on
> >  it.
>
> Actually; going on past performance, I suspect OOo will get it right
> eventually.  Remember; they've only being developing it for a fraction of the
> time that MS have been developing Office.
>
> > To summarise, IMO OO is close to being a killer. But not quite yet.
>
> It won't be a killer until the enterprise lets go of MS Office.  It's
> happening in the educational sector and it's happening in the government
> sector, but it will probably need a younger generation of IT staff for it to
> happen across the enterprise.
>
> Never under-estimate the resistance to change!
>
> --
>               Terry Coles
>               64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

Interesting, because the last time I received a docx, yes I was able to
edit it, but I had to save it as a .doc.

But was that before I updated? I don't think so.

I had the interesting experience of editing a (word) document under OO,
and being able to edit a table in it (the TOC), But when I pushed it
down to the XP machine, Word reformatted it and changed the number of
pages, and I could not edit that table!   I ended up doing it in OO and
saving it as a pdf to print.

That is actually my main bugbear with OO and Word. Their ideas of A4
differ.

Peter M

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/