On Thu, 2009-12-10 at 10:57 +0000, John Cooper wrote:
> On 10/12/09 09:32, Peter Merchant wrote:

Well, I looked at the partitions with gparted, and found two swap
partitions. I
tried to remove an unused obsolete ext3 partition and the oldest swap,
and now
when I boot I get the Grub_Recovery prompt. This is Grub2 with Kubuntu
9.10.

So I am now working (temporarily) from the other home machine.

It seems to me that Grub2 doesn't like changes!

I'll keep you informed.

Peter M.

Later the same evening....

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recover%20Grub%202%20via%20LiveCD

Enabled me to get back my kubuntu system.

All I need to do now is recover my XP side.

Peter M.

I saved the relevant part of that link as a file, so I have it available
if someone needs it

--
Next meeting: Dorchester, Tuesday 2010-01-05 20:00
Dorset LUG: http://dorset.lug.org.uk/