@Sean - I've been using Linux since 2005, though I didn't use it at all in
2008/early 2009. As stated before, these things don't stop ME from using
Linux/Ubuntu/whatever app I use, but from my experience, they stop new users
from using Linux/Ubuntu.

I'm not sure where you understand that I wanted to impose my views on how to
make it user-friendly - the reason I posted this is to get a whole range of
views, not to push my views. Also, it was inspired by an existing article -
in fact, about half of the things on my list are in the original article
too.

As a community, Linux is both exciting and horribly frustrating - technical
people don't always make for good communicators, devs quite often get
offended if somebody suggests a different solution to a problem, many geeks
are prone to patronising those they think of as ignorant, and in my opinion,
Linux is suffering from this. For me, Linux users should also teach other
computer users about the benefits of open source development and how a PC
doesn't need Windows to run, but quite often, the feedback is "if you don't
know how to do this in Linux, then you understand nothing about it and you
should go back to Windows". Not helpful at all in the context of the open
source vs closed source dev public debate.

Yes, Linux complexity is great and I don't suggest to dumb it down. Most of
the changes I would like to see are to do with presentation, not how Linux
works deep down. Some changes also require devs/foundations to work
together. None of this should be imposed by an outside force, it has got to
come from the parties involved obviously.

As stated before, I don't have a problem with using Linux, I have overcome
whatever issues I have with it but this list was written with the mainstream
user in mind. The list is based on my own experience, watching those around
me trying to use Ubuntu on my desktops and netbook. Sometimes, when a new
user points something out, you just have to admit the way Linux presents
itself isn't the best way (for example, the names of apps in Ubuntu software
centre, which in itself is a great idea by the way). Other times, you can
explain why it works like this but when a user says "I don't really need to
know all that" and you know that the distro you are using is meant to be
user-friendly (it's not like I'm using Gentoo!), then again you have to
admit that even though there is a reason why something is done a certain
way, it might be useful to show fewer options, and allow for a way to show
more options (for example, the bootloader).
--
Next meeting:  Crown Hotel, Blandford Forum, Tuesday 2010-11-02 20:00