Hi Andrew,

> After spending days(!) fscking and trying to decode all kinds of stuff
> I stepped back and saw the light - I MUST have a duff disk!!!!.

`smartctl -a /dev/sda' can be useful to get the drive's own stats on how
things are going.  (Does fsck(8) still only check a filesystem's
metadata?)  smartctl(8) can, I think, be used to get the drive to do
some non-destructive tests on all sectors.  May be something to try now
you've nothing to risk losing from them, although I don't know how well
the SMART commands work through non-[PS]ATA interfaces.

> I therefore went out and replaced BOTH disks (which were Hitachi
> Desktar 200GB IDE units which on extracting them I find are dated 2005
> (so fair enough!).

Post IBM's Deathstar then.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_Deathstar
;-)

> "The "green" credentials of the new disks will mean they will power
> down after (20? secs) of inactivity and take too long to power up
> causing linux Raid to fail a disk and detach it." !!!

hdparm(8) has options, e.g -S (capital), to control aspects like idle
spin-down time;  perhaps that can help.  I didn't realise any modern
drives took too long to spin up though.

Cheers,
Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Blandford Forum, Wednesday 2011-03-02 20:00