On Thursday 10 Mar 2011, Terry Coles wrote:
> We have a system at work that uses a Linux box (Live boot) running some
> data gathering tools.  This information is written to a web page and
> served up to a Windows box connected 1:1, (eg no other devices) for
> analysis.  So far so good.
>
> At present the Windows box provides DHCP and the Linux box advertises it's
> hostname.  What we would really like to do is get the current Linux box to
> provide DHCP and DNS.  Can anyone point me at a suitable tutorial or
> guidance to explain how to set up and configure such a system?
>
> Having the Windows box do DHCP and DNS is OK, but is likely to cause us
> problems downstream, hence the query.

Replying to myself.

Thanks for the suggestions to date (the overwhelming support for dnsmasq).
However, when I related this to my colleage at work he said he couldnt see why
this (or bind) was needed because when he enabled udhcpd, he found that it
maintains a list of all hosts on the network so why couldn't that be used?

I didn't get a chance to look at it this morning, so I couldn't answer him,
but I could bear to know if what he's suggesting is possible.

Any takers?

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-04-05 20:00