Hi Terry,

> > I rarely hear of it anymore.  DCE originated outside of MS and they
> > used bits of it.  There's bound to be legacy Unix stuff still based
> > on it and some new in-house code by existing users may continue
> > using it.
>
> So how do Unix/Linux progams export their interfaces?  In MS
> VisualStudio, I can click on a function or method and right-click to
> get the interface.

Sorry, I don't know.  You'd have to find a DCE IDL-using program, e.g.
one doing some DCE RPC I guess, and see what it offers.  The textual IDL
file would be my first thought, or are you thinking there's a way to
interrogate a peer to determine the interface it offers at run-time?

It seems there is a big user still about today;  Samba since it has to
use MS-RPC which is derived from DCE/RPC, whether it's compatible I
don't know.  This should be an interesting read.
http://kganugapati.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/a-history-of-ms-rpc-and-open-source-equivalents/

I also found
http://www.opensource.apple.com/source/dcerpc/dcerpc-46/dcerpc/include/dce/rpc.idl
suggesting it may be used there.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-11-01 20:00