Hi Terry,

> On Tuesday 11 Oct 2011, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> > The textual IDL file would be my first thought, or are you thinking
> > there's a way to interrogate a peer to determine the interface it
> > offers at run-time?
>
> AIUI, the IDL file is compiled into a 'type library' which is somehow
> embedded into a Windows DLL or exe, so that and IDE tool can view the
> information.  I don't do this myself, but I've watched our programmers
> knock up quick and dirty code, just by looking at this info.

That sounds to me more like whatever is using IDL happens to provide a
discovery service to enquire about the interface and not something
fundamental to DCE's lower-level IDL itself.

Another one, Samba's PIDL IDL compiler.  http://wiki.wireshark.org/Pidl

> I did ask this quetion at a LUG Meeting recently although in a
> different form.  I was asking if any of the IDE tools available on
> Linux, (eg Eclipse, KDevelop, etc) had this kind of functionality.  I
> don't think anyone knew at the time.  I've been unable to find
> anything in the Help or Docs for those tools, but maybe I'm searching
> for the wrong string.

I've not used those IDEs but DCE/RPC has been unpopular on Unix since
before they came along so I doubt they've the (Windows' specific?)
interrogation you're after.

> How do Linux programmers write function calls?  Purely from the Docs?

Yep.  The fine man pages traditionally.  Supplemented by books, other
source code that uses them, and the function call source itself.  I
wouldn't expect an IDL to be able to describe all the semantics of an
interface so even if some whizzy MS GUI lets you inspect it and see what
you can poke, you may only be playing all the right notes but not
necessarily in the right order.

Cheers, Ralph.

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-11-01 20:00