On Saturday 03 Dec 2011 08:12:31 Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Well, as far as I can see there's nothing, either morally or legally, to
> stop you from firing it up with live CD of some description to see
> what's what in terms of compatibility. As long as you are careful with

It would have to be a live USB stick; Netbooks don't have CD drives :-)

> the packaging (a) who's to know and (b) what harm's done if you find
> it's a complete 'mare and opt to return it?

I didn't mention it before, but I think that Novatech's Customer Service is
second to none, so I don't think there would be any issue there.

I've bought loads of stuff from them and, on occasion, had to return some for
one reason or another.

Years ago I bought a motherboard, CPU and memory from them and found that it
had problems that I could only put down to flaky memory.  I can't remember the
details, but I took it back to them and even though they couldn't find
anything wrong with it, they refunded my money.

When I bought the Netbook, it had a rather quiet Mic.  I took it back and they
replaced it, even though it worked OK for them (it may have been a Linux
Driver issue at the time, because the replacement was a bit quiet too,
although it seems OK these days.

Even more recently, I bought a Draytech router, which worked fine for around
10-15 hrs, then it went slow.  There was no question of repair or replacement
being the only option; they refunded the money immediately because they didn't
have another in stock.  I think that even if they'd had one, they would
probably have let me have a refund if I'd wanted it.

It also helps that they're less than an hour's drive away.

                64 bit computing with Kubuntu Linux

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2011-12-06 20:00