On Wednesday 04 July 2012 10:01:42 p.lane wrote:
> On 04/07/2012 09:45, Tim wrote:
> > On 03/07/12 20:45, Graeme Gemmill wrote:
> >> I have just found this LUG, so this is an introductory message. I
> >> have used Mandrake/Mandriva for several years, and read and
> >> occasionally contribute to the alt.os.linux.mandriva news group.
> >> Living in Litton Cheney, I intend to attend the next meeting held in
> >> Dorchester to meet other Linux users. This may be a bit early to be
> >> asking for advice/recommendations, but I am interested in
> >> implementing a Linux-based NAS to provide additional data security on
> >> my home network accessible from Mandriva and Windows OSs.
> >> Regards
> >> Graeme
> >
> > Hi Graema, Welcome to Dlug
> >
> > A lot will depend on the type of NAS you are after, I have a single
> > Disk NAS from Lacie which has a linux based OS but is aimed really at
> > the windows market. I have not tried or even know if it is possible to
> > hack the OS. I can mount it on my linux box and it works and have
> > mounted it on windows boxes so other in the family can access it. I
> > normally back this up on a monthly basis via rsync, it was backed up
> > more regularly at one stage but the data is not added to, changed or
> > deleted that frequently at the moment so there no need for more
> > regular backups.
> >
> > If you are looking at a multi disk nas, then you could try building
> > one to suit, I looked at doing similar a while ago and kept this link
> > as the basis of how I would go about it
> > http://matthewlai.ca/blog/?p=968 I have no idea if it is any good in
> > real life
> >
> > Hope it helps
> >
> > Tim
>
> Hi. I'm a new member myself.
> Linksys, Buffalo & DNS all sell good, reasonably priced Linux
> comapatible NAS devices.
> It all comes down to how much you need to store, whether you want to
> mirror 2 or 4 or 8 drives what yuo know about RAID & how much you can
> afford.
> Don't consider DROBO.....nice but slow & is a type of X-RAID so a
> proprietary format & even tho they say LINUX compatible, I know they are
> not LINUX friendly.
> BTW all, being a sys admin and having worked with a number of large
> scale RAID detups - EMC & Netapps etc & Sun DiskSuite, if anyone is
> interested, I'll post a RAID fyi.
> Phil.
Hi Graeme,
        welcome to Dlug.
I have to ask why you think you need a "ready built" NAS as opposed to a File
Server.
You can add lots a disks to an existing linux system, have fun configuring
linux raid and even use the file server for other things (a normal desktop
perhaps) and then export the raid filesystems to your LAN with Samba and NFS
and you wouldnt know the difference.
I bought a cheap NAS once and thanks to its complete lack of expansion
prospects ended up chucking it away and adding raid to my linux  file server
which now has some multi-terabyte shared file-systems.
Regards
Andy

--
Next meeting:  Bournemouth, Tuesday 2012-07-03 20:00