Hi,

I just thought I'd quickly reply to some of your questions...

On 20/03/2013 15:43, David Smith wrote:
1. Is this the right way to go and if so what distribution would you recommend? Should I buy DVDs or download?
Everyone will recommend a different distribution. :)
If you are comfortable with writing a DVD or USB stick yourself then I would download. There are tools for Linux and Windows to create a bootable USB stick from an ISO image, if the image supports it. (Which most do these days) Also, a lot of Linux distributions have a "Live CD/DVD" where you can boot from the installation media and actually try out the Linux distribution without needing to install it.

2. Is it simple to find say printer drivers that run under Linux?
Linux uses CUPS, which is the same printing system Apple uses, so if there are PPD drivers for MacOS then they should work on Linux.

3. Do I need antivirus software? (MACs now do) Any other security software essential?
I'm going to say no...

4. Does Linux have a full screen console? (see below)
Yes. In fact it usually has a few. Ctrl+Alt+F1 will get you to one, as will Ctrl+Alt+F2, etc. up to F6 usually. This is configurable, and you can even configure a serial (RS232) port to be a console, if you still have an old VT100 lying around to plug in to it? :)
I actually use the full-screen console quite a lot for playing music.

5. Does Linux have the equivalent of DOS batch files?
Yes. Shell scripts, .sh files usually.

I am a dinosaur brought up on punched cards and struggle to keep up.
If you get yourself an Arduino (or similar) and a stepper motor, rollers and some optical sensors you could probably make a punch card reader quite easily. :)

--

Andrew.