I installed the script as described here:
https://github.com/get-iplayer/get_iplayer/wiki/manual

Running it the first time with no arguments, downloaded some plugins as you
described, running it again like so:

./get_iplayer apollo

Printed out a whole load info whilst getting TV index feeds, then finished
with 3 matches, like so:
Matches:
838: Live at the Apollo: Series 9 - Episode 1, BBC One, Comedy,Standup,
default
839: Live at the Apollo: Series 9 - Episode 2, BBC One, Comedy,Standup,
default
840: Live at the Apollo: Series 9 - Episode 3, BBC One, Comedy,Standup,
default

Running the following:

./get_iplayer 838 --get

Began downloading the episode