On 2015-09-07 14:25, Terry Coles wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to install Sonic Pi on my Kubuntu box (it's installed by default on
the Pi,
but I thought it would be useful to have it running on my main machine).  There
are
binary packages for Windows, Mac and the Pi, but nothing for x86 / amd64 based
Linux machines, so I thought I'd download the source and build it from scratch.
Unfortunately, I've stumbled at the first hurdle; getting the code from GitHub.

A quick google threw up
https://www.miskatonic.org/2015/01/17/setting-up-sonic-pi-on-ubuntu/[1] .

About two screenfulls down it says, (amongst other things) to run:
        git clone g...@github.com:samaaron/sonic-pi.git

This gives me:

terry@Optiplex:/usr/local/src$ sudo git clone g...@github.com:samaaron/sonic-
pi.git
Cloning into 'sonic-pi'...
The authenticity of host 'github.com (192.30.252.129)' can't be established.
RSA key fingerprint is 16:27:ac:a5:76:28:2d:36:63:1b:56:4d:eb:df:a6:48.
Are you sure you want to continue connecting (yes/no)? yes
Warning: Permanently added 'github.com,192.30.252.129' (RSA) to the list of
known
hosts.
Permission denied (publickey).

and the repository exists.

A visit to the web page at https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi/[2]
implies that I need to sign up to access the code, so how do I do that from the
command line?

(I appreciate that once I'm signed up I can do what I want on the web page, but
I'd
like to know how to do it through the console.)

(I have also spotted that I can download the whole thing as a zip file and this
is
currently ongoing, but I'd still like to know how to do it the console way.)

Hi Terry,

I don't believe you can sign up to GitHub via the command line.

You'll have to use the https clone URL: https://github.com/samaaron/sonic-pi.git

The schema-less URL uses ssh. You do indeed have to have a GitHub account to use those, even for read-only access.