Hi,

You may remember my queries in November of last year regarding the use of two
USB
Audio Adaptors with a Raspberry Pi; one to play the chimes and one to play the
organ
music inside the Wimborne Model Town Minster.  At the time it was suggested
that I could
discriminate between the two adaptors by reading their ID string.

In the event that solution didn't work for two reasons: first the USB Hub in a
Pi Zero is a
single-TT port and the other is because the two adaptors had the same ID string
;-(

At the time we solved this by changing to a Pi 3 which has a (crude) audio jack
so I could
send the bells to that channel and the music to a USB Audio Adaptor plugged
into one of
the four available USB Ports.  (BTW, the Pi 3 has a multi-TT port).

Everything in the garden was lovely until the 12 V (Audio Amp) PSU Brick failed
in August
and the replacement turned out to be noisy.  There was always a bit of a hum
loop, but it
was acceptable until the extra noisy PSU came along.

I managed to obtain a couple of USB Audio Adaptors with a different ID string
to the
original ones, so I thought that we could revert to plan A.  However, I can't
work out how
to identify the channel from the info available from lsusb, aplay -l and dmesg.

I've published the question on the Raspberry Pi Forums at:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=202382

  but there haven't been any responses to date.

Anyone here got any ideas?  For convenience, I'm working with the two adaptors
plugged
into my desktop PC (Dell Optiplex), but should be able to transfer the
technique to the Pi
once I've worked out the trick.  (BTW aplay -L gives a lot more info but I
couldn't see
anything in there to tie the hw: channel to the Adaptor's ID string.)