Hi Terry,

On 14/01/18 11:27, Terry Coles wrote:
Everything in the garden was lovely until the 12 V (Audio Amp) PSU Brick failed
in August
and the replacement turned out to be noisy.  There was always a bit of a hum
loop, but it
was acceptable until the extra noisy PSU came along.

Ideally you want a balanced audio output. I would give you a link to the USB to XLR audio device I bought many years ago, but I can't seem to find them any more! There's lots around with a single input but the one I got has two inputs and two outputs. There is this for the Raspberry Pi, however I'm not sure if you can have more than one on the same machine:

https://www.hifiberry.com/shop/boards/hifiberry-dac-pro-xlr/

Then you'd need a balanced amplifier and cables, and that should get rid of any hum at all.

I managed to obtain a couple of USB Audio Adaptors with a different ID string
to the
original ones, so I thought that we could revert to plan A.  However, I can't
work out how
to identify the channel from the info available from lsusb, aplay -l and dmesg.
I think you want 'aplay -L', not 'aplay -l'. Then you'll see the device names, something like "plughw:CARD=Device,DEV=0".

From the man page:

       -l, --list-devices
              List all soundcards and digital audio devices

       -L, --list-pcms