On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 17:04:56 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I've been struggling to find this in the archives.  Even assuming 2016.
> https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/private/dorset/
> https://www.mail-archive.com/dorset@mailman.lug.org.uk/
>
> > At the time it was suggested that I could discriminate between the two
> > adaptors by reading their ID string.

I thought that it was William Sowerbutts that said it, but I couldn't find that
either.  What I did find was this:

https://mailman.lug.org.uk/mailman/private/dorset/2016-December/015967.html

Which might be the answer.  I'll not be able to follow this up for a day or
two, because of family illness and other commitments, but I'll have a look at
the OMG! Ubuntu link and see if I can make it work.

> How are you observing the ID string?  I think you might be wrongly
> calling something else that.  It's not the `0d8c:013c' or `8086:0808'.

Those numbers are the Manufacturer's ID.  I'm sure that someone thought that
these could be used; maybe it was simply said at a Meeting.

I've been getting those numbers from lsusb.

> BTW, when you did `dmesg | grep PnP' you may have discarded useful
> information in the vicinity of `PnP' lines that didn't contain that
> text, so it could be worth looking again.

I also tried `dmesg | tail' and that wasn't much use either.

> Also, `udevadm info -e' may give interesting details to distinguish the
> two, but you'd have to search through the output for `audio' and poke
> about.

Yes that was what William was referring to in his post.

> You've had this before.  I thought then you were sending a HTML email
> and Mailman was stripping it back to plain text, losing a lot of the
> content, and suggested you ensure you're sending plain text instead.  If
> that can't be done, put the text in a file and paste the output of
> `base64 <file'.

It was simply copied straight out of Konsole.  In future, I'll paste it into
Kate and copy it from there.