On Wednesday, 17 January 2018 23:06:44 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> There's also https://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleUSBAudioDevices that
> describes the parameters the kernel module can take to index the audio
> interfaces, and https://alsa.opensrc.org/Udev that it links to at the
> end for using udev, especially the second section where he has five
> identical USB audio interfaces wired to distinct rooms.

That will be useful.

Looking again at my link to the post by William, noticed in my follow-up
replies that I had
been struggling a bit with the udev solution too.

I then looked at the discussions that went on after that time and remembered
that I had
originally been using a Pi Zero and a 'Naked' USB Hub from ModMyPi and had
discovered,
through this list, that the Zero has a Single-TT USB port and that had been at
the root of
the problem.

I then switched to using a Pi 3, which has a Multi-TT USB port.  The Pi 3 has
an audio
output, the whole problem of using multiple USB Audio Adaptors went away.

The rest is history....  (well so was that really :-) )

> In USB terms, they're the Vendor and Product IDs, both 16-bit.  8086 is
> Intel's.  :-)  http://www.linux-usb.org/usb-ids.html doesn't know
> Intel's 0808 and that's why lsusb(8) isn't saying anything more than
> `Intel Corp.'.  That site accepts patches.

Yes.  I've always understood that, but since lsusb provided these numbers, I've
always
believed (until now) that they could be used to identify which interface
carried the Audio
device for the Bells and which for the music.