On Saturday, 17 February 2018 17:56:45 GMT Keith Edmunds wrote:
> Shred is slow. No one will trivially read the ex-data following a
> reformat. I suppose if the drive used to hold your plans for world
> domination, a few more hours of shred is a small price to pay. However,
> if the drive only held data of interest to you and you don't want the PC
> running overnight, don't worry about it.

I'm sure you are right, but the NAS Box was used to back up four different PCs
and I'm not sure what was there.  My two machines were both Linux and I only
backed up the /home partition.  Even so, there could be stuff that might give
passwords away etc.

The other two PCs were both Windows machines (son and daughter's) and they
both tended to back up the whole of their 'C'-Drives, so it's anyone's guess
what might be buried in the Registry.

I'd be happier if there was no chance of data recovery.