On Saturday, 24 February 2018 18:02:38 GMT Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> I didn't figure out what happens if the HTTP probe `suceeds', assuming
> that's what we're seeing in the packets, and HTTPS doesn't.  I suspect
> that's what's triggering the `You're captive'.  Perhaps someone that
> knows Java could untangle it.
>
> If that's the case, you're stuck.  A HTTPS connection couldn't be made
> to the Pi such that it can provide a trusted certificate verifying it's
> connectivitycheck.gstatic.com.  Happy to be proved wrong.  :-)

Lloyd at Foxdog has confirmed that he can see the https requests in the packet
dump for the G5 and that they support https in their server using a Foxdog
Certificate.  However, he also says that he can't see how they can be valid
https connections, since the phone would be expecting the certificate to be
issued by Google.

Full comments trail at
https://foxdogstudios.com/making-phones-believe-the-wifi-has-internet#comment-3772704492

I'm going to try setting the Pi up as an https server with a Self Signed
Certificate tomorrow and see what happens.