On Sunday, 25 February 2018 08:04:49 GMT Terry Coles wrote:
> > You can trying listening on TCP port 443 and seeing if Android 7 will
> > play along with your self-signed certificates.  Perhaps it will as far
> > as thinking it's got to the Internet, but that Java source I referenced
> > also talks of `PAC' that I suspect are some sort of Android software
> > update package.  If a PAC is involved then it will obviously only trust
> > that from the expected Google source, verified by the certificate.
>
> I'm going to try that today.  Lloyd at Foxdog says that they have https
> support with a Foxdog Certificate and all the phones that he's tried work.
> He doesn't specify what they are.

I've just spent much of this morning getting my head around what https, SSL,
TLS and SSL
Certificates are all about.  I now have a (fairly limited) understanding of how
to get and
use a certificate, based on info here and elsewhere:

http://nginx.org/en/docs/http/configuring_https_servers.html

I used the command:

openssl req -x509 -newkey rsa:2048 -nodes -days 365 -keyout WMT.com.key -out
WMT.com.csr

to generate the certificate and key and put them into /etc/ssl, with the
nginx.conf
configured to give me a Single HTTP/HTTPS server, as defined in the nginx link.

Once all the files were installed, I ran sudo nginx -s reload with no errors.

Predictably though, it didn't work and when I typed https://WMT.com from my
laptop
while connected to the WMT AP, I got:

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from wmt.com (for example,
passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more
NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID