Got it sorted!  I used UBCD (Ultimate Boot CD) and it's copy of Gparted to  attempt a recover of the disc, which showed me that it had been a Windows system. I was then able to format the whole disk as NTFS.

For some reason it had not wanted to know Ubuntu, but now I was able to install Fedora 27 (KDE) which is up and  running. Yesterday once I got it into a state where the head was continuously seeking back and forth (You know that sound when you hear it).

This morning I was unable to run fsck on it because of something to do with LVM, but  UBCD has a disk test facility that I have run. Yes there are some faults on the disk, and some parts that are 'pre-failure', but it shows that it has had 19000 hours of use.

Conclusion: Success, and the disk will be OK for play, but don't be surprised if it continues to degrade.

Cheers,
Peter