Hi Hamish,

> I can actually use pkcheck --revoke-temp to revoke temporary
> authorisations, which would also be a good idea

No, don't do that.  It revokes all temporary authorisations in the
session regardless of the action, so not just the one or two you've
used.  And even if you could state just the actions that you feel you
requested with pkexec, they were granted to the session and other
parties in the session may be legally using them too.  They may even
have beat you to it and your pkexec found a temporary authorisation
already existed thanks to them.

> PolicyKit is confusing, and seems a little overcomplicated to me, but
> what do I know? :)

It is.  As is the whole DBus/GLib/Gtk+/Gnome/... mire.  And the matching
Qt one.  If you want to see a clean system design, OS, security, window
system, then have a read of the introduction to Plan 9.
https://9p.io/sys/doc/9.pdf

Cheers, Ralph.