Hi Tim,

> This is where thing take a happier turn

Glad to hear things panned out OK.

> I am all up and running.  Yes I still have all those little items to
> configure which normally take an age but the basic are there and
> working.

I record all the installed packages and their versions in a file just
before every backup.  The idea being with a comm(1) or diff(1) after
recovery I can re-install missing packages en masse instead of figuring
out what's missing piecemeal.

    dpkg-query -W --showformat '${package} ${version} ${status}\n'

> The importance of a backup should never be underestimated, I don't
> normally backup the root partition just a couple of odd files (like
> fstab)

I don't back up the root partition either, but I do backup /etc.
20 MiB here and I think that's worth it for all the tinkering with
configuration that's been done over time.

> check the changes you are about to make, then check them again and
> finally so that you can shout to yourself I have chosen the correct
> bl**dy partitions check again because as I found out, it only takes
> two seconds for the damage to be done.

I've been making partitions and filesystems quite a bit recently and
settled on using shell variables, e.g. `disk=/dev/sdc part=${disk}1'.
I figure that will avoid a slip from `c' to `b', etc.  But that doesn't
remove the worry that my fingers will still type `/dev/sda' out of habit
instead of `$disk'.  Nor does it helps you GUI users.  :-)

Pulling the cables from the precious drive seems best.
Carefully checking it's the right one.  ;-)

Cheers, Ralph.