Hi Peter,

> > Yes, they're kernels and you only typically need the last two or
> > three working ones.
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RemoveOldKernels might free quite
> > a bit of space.
>
> That link suggests the command
>     sudo apt-get autoremove --purge
>
> Periodically when I add something I get prompted to
>     sudo apt-get autoremove
> which I do.

So the same but without the `--purge'.

> Yesterday I did
>     sudo apt autoremove
> which did something, but didn't remove them.  Well maybe it did
> because  the above command says nothing to do.

It did.  It removed, but didn't purge, the packages that were
automatically installed, `apt-mark showauto', and no longer have
anything depending on them;  that was the original reason they were
installed.

> Interesting, they are still there.  A sample:
> linux-signed-image-4.4.0-77-generic 4.4.0-77.98 deinstall ok config-files
> linux-signed-image-4.4.0-78-generic 4.4.0-78.99 deinstall ok config-files
> linux-signed-image-4.4.0-79-generic 4.4.0-79.100 deinstall ok config-files

No, they've been removed.  The `deinstall ok' means you have selected
them to be de-installed and that went well.  The `config-files' says the
package's configuration files, e.g. things in /etc, remain.  That's
because you didn't purge the packages, just removed them.

You can still try to purge those configuration files IIRC.

    sudo -i apt-get purge linux-signed-image-4.4.0-77-generic

For a list of packages that only have their configuration installed:

    aptitude search '~c'

The reason `remove' leaves behind the configuration files is in case
you've tailored them and then decide to re-install the package next
week;  you'd retain your settings from before, though have the package's
own ones installed alongside with some suffix.  (I forget what, not
using APT-based systems much anymore.)  If you didn't tailor them, it
still leaves them behind.  That seems odd behaviour to me.

Cheers, Ralph.