On 12/01/2019 18:05, Tim wrote:
On 12/01/2019 16:34, C Wills wrote:
Hi All

Just tried to set up a new router for printing to my HP LJ1022 printer as the
Print Server was trashed while we were away (power surge we think).
Details are:
New TP-Link AC1200 VR400v1 router (phone line) via Talktalk ISP - internet
connects OK via Ethernet to laptop.
Printer HP LJ1022 connected to USB port on rear of router (appears no
communication between units).
Shows as connected on the TP network diagram as a HP LJ102 (think full
description too long so truncated).
TP manual says to download a printing utility but only available for MS or MAC.
 No info re Linux.
Not found any useful info on web.

Any suggestions please as to what to do, or cli inputs to get further info.
(not good with cli tho!).  Printer has been used via the desktop PC but meant
that had to be on to show printer on network.

I have always believed that those USB ports on the router to be for either A)
USB 4G Broadband dongle or 4G modem a as secondary\backup broadband connection
or B) as  a USB memory stick or disk drive  to act as a NAS. Don't think I have
seen one used for printers. My new Linksys has a USB port and the manual only
talks about hooking a printer upto the router via Wi-Fi not over USB. Just
looked at the manual for your router and it makes know mention of USB - Printer
connectivity. Only option might be a USB printer server either Wi-Fi or Ethernet

Tim H

My Talktalk routers have said that you can connect a printer via USB, But Tech
support and forum users say that feature hasn't ever worked. I Gave up at that
point.

Peter M.

--
 Next meeting at BEC:  Bournemouth, Tuesday, 2019-02-05 20:00
 Check if you're replying to the list or the author