All my current problems were caused when an error arose while I was moving data in my /home partition, so that I could create a swap partition.  Since then I have discovered that in the absence of a usable swap partition the Installer (presumably) created a swapfile in the root directory and used that instead.

I therefore edited fstab to remove the swapfile entry and added:

# <file system>             <mount point> <type>  <options>  <dump>  <pass>
UUID="80d1b878-4739-47be-b64c-edf9e7245a2a swap          swap defaults   0 0

where the UUID was obtained from KDE Partition Manager.

After that the machine took forever to boot and seemed to be hanging at a point where the CPU is being detected!!!!

When it did boot, I got this:

terry@optiplex:~$ free
              total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available Mem:         8081676     1557860     5496332       55260     1331532     6523816
Swap:              0           0           0

This turned out to be a non-problem, because KDE Partition Manager was lying about the UUID.  Running lsblk-f gave me:

sdb1 swap     1     Swap   5d2148b5-ed41-4b5d-abf6-46b1570cde0d                [SWAP]

A totally different UUID!

I live and learn.

--

Terry Coles
--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to