The disaster that I experienced earlier this week continues to baffle me and two new problems have emerged.

The first is that, as related in my last post, I was unable to restore the files directly to my /home directory, because Deja Dup said that I didn't have permission to do that.  As also mentioned, I restored the most recent backup, which was an incremental, to a local directory within /home and copied the /home/terry/.config directory from the backup over the running system.  This doesn't appear to have had any effect whatsoever, so I tried several other folders from /config but still no apparent change.  I've now restored the last full backup to the alternative location, but it's about 6 weeks old, so I'm a bit concerned about the effect of overwriting the whole contents of /home.  If I do it while the system is running, then I suspect there will be all sorts of issues with file attributes, particularly time stamps.  If I use a bootable distro, then I am equally concerned about file ownership issues.

Any suggestions?

I am talking to the developer of Deja Dup via the Gnome GitLab Help forum, but I think my issues (apart from the permissions problem during restore) were originally caused by the changes in Kubuntu 26/04, rather than Deja Dup.

--

Terry Coles


--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to