Yep.

victor@flex:~$ sudo -i grpck
invalid group file entry
delete line 'adm:x:4::victor'? n

At some time I must have manually edited /etc/group to add victor to the
adm group, and stuck in an extra ':'.
Fix that and the errors go away.
Thanks for the tip.

best regards,
웃
Victor Churchill,
Netley Abbey, Southampton



On Fri, 25 Sept 2026 at 10:52, Ralph Corderoy <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi again Victor,
>
> > > Failed to add existing group "adm" to temporary group file:
> > >     Invalid argument
> ...
> > > So it looks like one small issue with speech-dispatcher (which
> > > I don't believe I have any interest in) is causing a cascade of
> > > failures right up to the update of gnome itself failing.
>
> No, I think you've a problem with your group configuration, probably
> some syntax error, say by a hand edit, which causes any package that
> wants to manipulate groups on installation to fail.  speech-dispatcher
> and dhcpcd-base are just the two triggering packages.
>
> So I'd start with pwck(8) and grpck(8) as mentioned before.
>
> --
> Cheers, Ralph.
>
> --
>   Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
>   Check to whom you are replying
>   Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
>   New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]
>
-- 
  Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
  Check to whom you are replying
  Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
  New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to