This is getting almost as boring as the interminable 'Return to' movies implied in the subject line.  So the saga continues:

Since I last posted on this matter, I've had replies from both Ask Ubuntu and the Deja Dup author.  Both responses said mainly the same things, the response on Ask Ubuntu re-iterated the advice given by Ralph some days ago to create a local directory and link it to the SMB location. At the time, I had managed to get access to the archive by copying it to a higher level directory and using that, but was unable to get the settings file (a binary in /.config/dconf) to provide the right solution.

It was at this point that I decided to carry out my threat to delete /home and reinstall Kubuntu completely.  This I did without error, apart from the fact that the Chromium browser is now only available on snap, and the current version appears to be broken ;-(

I then tried to use Deja Dup Backup to access my backups again, with much the same results, except I appeared to have lost access to the new SMB location where I had copied my archives to!!!

It was at that point that I decided to try the linked local directory solution, as suggested by Ralph and Ask Ubuntu, but so far without success.  Here is a precis of what has happened to date.  I used an AI generated page as a guide and created a suitable mount point with:

sudo mkdir -p /mnt/Optiplex_Backups/

(Does the mount pointhave to be in /mnt or can it be in my /home directory?)

I then  installed cif-utils as detailed in the link and tried to mount the remote location in the local directory:

sudo mount -t cifs -o username=TerryJColes,password=******** //readynas/TerryJColes/Bac
kups/Optiplex/Duplicity/OptiPlex
mount: //readynas/TerryJColes/Backups/Optiplex/Duplicity/OptiPlex: can't find in /etc/fstab.

(The password has been obfuscated for obvious reasons, but it is correct.)

I then edited fstab and added:

//readynas/TerryJColes/Backups/Optiplex/Duplicity/OptiPlex//mnt/ cifs credentials=/mnt/Optiplex_Backups// credentials,uid=1000,gid=1000,iocharset=utf8 0 0

but still got the same error.

Can anyone tell me what I have done wrong?

--

Terry Coles

--
 Next meeting: Online, Jitsi, Tuesday, 2026-10-06 20:00
 Check to whom you are replying
 Meetings, mailing list, IRC, ...  https://dorset.lug.org.uk
 New thread, don't hijack:  mailto:[email protected]

Reply via email to